The microscopic asbestos fibers that are found in many building materials can be highly dangerous to human health. In fact, scientists say there is no known safe amount of asbestos exposure. This may be why many people who attend school and work at a university in the Midwest are worried about their own health and that of their loved ones. Minnesota residents who work or go to school in old buildings may want to follow this case.
It was recently announced that a particular building on campus was found to have high levels of asbestos. University officials shut the building down. However, doing so has prompted a lot of questions from numerous employees, including one man who has worked there for 25 years.
The man has not been feeling well for quite some time. He says he coughs a lot and wheezes, and he and his wife believe it may be connected to his work at the college. Another man has a young daughter who attends preschool in the building that was scheduled to be shuttered. He said he and other parents will now live in fear for the rest of their lives, worried that their children will develop symptoms of asbestos-related diseases.
Some of the parents said they were upset that university officials had not contacted them soon enough and should have moved their children earlier. However, a spokesman for the University of Montana said the initial air test results for the preschool were clear, and it was only after surface tests were done that they learned of the problem. Any Minnesota employee or parent who believes asbestos exposure has caused them or their loved ones to suffer injury may wish to connect with an attorney who is experienced in asbestos litigation.