A home improvement project can be exciting. But whether it’s an interior renovation or a siding replacement, these projects can have unforeseen consequences.
Asbestos in the home
If your home was built before 1980, there’s a good chance it contains asbestos. Asbestos was commonly used in construction materials because of its heat and fire-resistant nature. Though it isn’t used as much today, asbestos can be found in several areas in your home, including:
- Floor tiles
- Ceiling tiles
- Roof shingles
- House siding
Unfortunately, asbestos can turn your home into a hazardous living environment.
When is asbestos dangerous?
When left alone, asbestos is not generally considered dangerous. However, if it’s disturbed, asbestos fibers can get released into the air. Inevitably, home renovation projects involve a fair amount of drilling, ripping, cutting, sawing, breaking or knocking down parts of your house. But in doing so, you might unknowingly expose yourself to harmful asbestos fibers.
When you breathe these sharp fibers into your body, they can cling to the insides of your lungs. Over time, you may develop a dry cough, chest pain, shortness of breath or respiratory complications which can ultimately lead to mesothelioma.
Take caution during home improvement
Before starting on a home renovation project, it can be a good idea to get your house checked for asbestos. In some cases, you may be able to leave the asbestos alone. But if it poses a risk to your health, getting it professionally removed can help protect you from exposure.
When you continue with your project, wearing protective gear like goggles and masks can help minimize the risk of breathing in asbestos.
When can I take action?
It can take decades for symptoms of mesothelioma to appear, and asbestos exposure from a home renovation project might be the cause. If you become diagnosed with mesothelioma after negligent asbestos removal or a previous homeowner’s failure to warn you about the presence of asbestos, you may be eligible to seek compensation for the damage it caused.