Many retired Minnesota factory workers can related to a man in another state who recently joined many of his former co-workers at a meeting where a discussion was had about adverse health issues the former employees believe may be connected to their steel factory work. One woman who attended the meeting with her husband said she believes his skin cancer may have been caused by asbestos exposure. The man was not the only one there suffering from a disease, and most, if not all, attended the meeting because they think they contracted their illnesses on the job.
Many schools in Minnesota and throughout the country were built prior to 1970. Schools erected before this time often share certain characteristics in common. For instance, someone visiting or attending such a school may notice a musty smell from time to time, a sign that the building may contain mold. Asbestos exposure is usually a risk in old school buildings as well.
Minnesota apartment-dwellers whose homes have popcorn ceiling will want to follow a recent case in another state where officials have ordered total evacuation of an apartment complex. The situation unfolded when an anonymous tip was reportedly filed, prompting immediate inspection regarding possible asbestos exposure in the building. Since then, all residents have been evacuated, some taking shelter provided by the American Red Cross.
Sadly, many people in Minnesota and across the country have lost loved ones as a result of asbestos-related illness. In fact, there are no known cures for mesothelioma, asbestosis and other illnesses that often occur due to asbestos exposure. It's not only those who worked in factories, shipyards or old school buildings who are at risk; their families and anyone regularly exposed to them while wearing clothing they wore on the job could also possibly ingest the microscopic particles that wreak havoc on human lungs, hearts and other parts of the body.
Many Minnesota workers and residential occupants are at risk for certain health conditions although they may not realize it. There are many buildings and work environments throughout the state and nation that place employees and residents in harm's way regarding possible asbestos exposure. At times, such exposure happens by chance, without those involved realizing dangerous microscopic fibers are present in their surroundings. Sadly, other exposures occur when employers or town officials are fully aware of potential problems but fail in their duties to inform others or take precautions to keep them safe.
How many Minnesota residents are currently suffering fatal illnesses contracted by ingesting microscopic asbestos fibers in the workplace? It's impossible to give an exact number because many affected workers are currently unaware of their conditions. A man in another state is not only aware of his lung cancer, but he and his wife have filed a claim against several companies they say should be held financially accountable for his illness, which is believed to have been caused by repeated asbestos exposure on the job.
Many Minnesota residents understand how stressful it can be to renovate a home, especially if a household includes young children. A family in another state hired a contractor to work on their house, including the removal of a popcorn ceiling, which is a specific type of ceiling design that is textured and often poses an asbestos exposure risk. The situation led to the family's evacuation when homeowners say they found spilled debris throughout their house after the contractor had been working there.
The dangers of asbestos remain an extremely high risk for many people in Minnesota and other states. Depending on where a particular person lives or works, the risk may be higher or lower. Those who live near or work in factories or older building structures are often at most risk. For people in another state in a community that contained a vermiculite mine, not only was the asbestos exposure risk apparently high, many people became ill and entered litigation to seek compensation for the damages they suffered.
Any time construction on old buildings takes place in Minnesota or another state, there are always potential health concerns for workers and anyone else exposed to the construction areas in question. This is because old buildings often present asbestos exposure risks, especially regarding demolition and renovation types of work. Work on a particular construction project in another state has come to a halt because of problems related to asbestos.
A protracted debate continues in Minnesota and beyond regarding possible health hazards associated with baby talcum powders manufactured by Johnson & Johnson. The pharmaceutical giant has been called to the mat in question of whether it was aware ahead of time that its products may post asbestos exposure health dangers to consumers. Investigative reporters have been scrutinizing thousands of documents from the company's records in an attempt to formulate a conclusion.